Best Shoes to Wear with Shorts Reviewed
We’ve all been there… the weather is beautiful; you have the perfect pair of shorts picked out to enjoy the warmth. You get your outfit together, run to your closet to finish it off with some great shoes only to find… you have no shoes that look good with shorts. Fear not, you aren’t alone.
Even though shoes are at the bottom of our outfit, studies have shown that upon meeting someone new, the most likely thing they will notice about another’s outfit is their shoes. Pants do us the great favor of seamlessly transitioning leg to foot in one, smooth line; shorts can be a bit more difficult. Get a pair of shoes too clunky, and you’ll look like a clown stumbling around town. Get a pair too tight, and you’ll be wishing you left the shoes at home by the end of the day.
- Skechers USA Fray Cotton
- Foam Base
- Frayed Edges
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star
- Canvas Upper
- Gusseted Tongue
- Vans Classic Skate
- Simple Low Top
So, what are your options? Well, lucky for you we have that taken care of. Don’t think you have to sacrifice style, comfort, or durability when your wardrobe changes from coats and pants to tees and shorts. Below is a list of the top 15 Shoes to wear with shorts that will have you strutting around like the beautiful, confident, bare-legged champion you are.
15 Best Shoes to Wear With Shorts
1. Skechers USA Fray Cotton
This sandal’s thong straps are made from a soft foam wrapped in canvas fabric that allows the foot to breathe but still offers comfort and support.
The bottoms of these cotton thong sandals address an issue that many people have with flip-flops: the grip. Wearers can feel confident knowing they can enjoy comfort without sacrificing stability.
Cost and Value
Even though Skechers has produced a high-quality sandal, shoppers do not have to worry about price as this is the most economic option on our list. A low-cost sandal with high reliability makes this a valuable choice for anybody.
Lasts longer than most sandals
Form to your foot for maximum comfort
Hard sole for sensitive feet
Fraying threads at joint of thong
2. Converse Chuck Taylor All Star
Part of the charm of the Chuck Taylor All Star is its dependability. A deceptively simple design, these shoes are built with quality canvas that can hold up to even rigorous activity.
No matter where you go, you’re likely to see someone rocking a pair of Chuck’s. This shoe offers unique style that makes a statement in any environment.
Cost and Value
A simple design paired with a strong brand recognition has kept this shoe at a very reasonable price point – as it has been for most of its existence.
Great option for the gym
Excellent quality materials
Narrow around the foot
Offers less support than other options
3. Skechers USA Expected Avillo
A common failing of loafers is their tendency to rub uncomfortably on the ankle. The Avillo Slip-On Loafer has a padded ankle-collar, ensuring maximum comfort throughout the day.
This shoe has an extra-wide build that makes sure all wearers find it comfortable. The breathable fabric combined with the wide build allows the shoe to form to the feet of anybody.
Cost and Value
Slightly costlier than the sandal, the loafer is still a very affordable option for the casual shoe shopper. A common choice for shorts-wearers everywhere.
Great look with no laces
Dependable long-term option
Great for all ages
Works with or without socks
Retains foot odors
Tend to run small for fitting
4. Dunham Captain Boat Shoe
This shoe is made from high-quality leather that allows your foot to breathe while molding to its shape. The rare shoe that gets better the more you wear it.
Removable Memory Foam Footbed
The Captain Boat Shoe has a removable memory foam footbed that ensures maximum comfort that lasts over time.
Cost and Value
Because this shoe is made from leather, it has a slightly higher price point than some of the other options. But, the benefits of this shoe being a classier option, combined with the comfortable build, makes it a cost-effective purchase.
Great for hard-to-fit feet
Comfortable for wide feet
Great looking ‘formal’ option
Won’t slip in wet areas
Shallow depth can cause fit issues
5. Merrell Jungle Moc
This shoe is composed of weather-resistant leather, making it perfect for any conditions.
A padded air-cushion situated in the midsole offers additional support and comfort for the foot – ideal for walking on rougher terrain.
Cost and Value
The cost of this shoe reflects the high-quality materials and durable build, but it is well worth it. Meant to endure harsh conditions and long-time wear, you can be sure that this purchase will be valuable for a long time.
Easy slip on/off
Arch support can be too high for some wearers
Sole separation at back of shoe
6. Birkenstock Arizona Birkibuc
Designed to form to your foot over time, the cork footbed is a sole that grows even more comfortable over time. These shoes are meant to last long-term.
Shock Absorption Sole
Not only designed to form to your foot, the sole of the Arizona Birkibuc Sandal also is able to absorb jarring landings much better than other sandal options in the market for top comfort.
Cost and Value
Birkenstock’s generally run at a higher price than the average shoe in the market, but they are highly customizable and designed to fit to your unique foot perfectly all while lasting for many years. The cost may be higher, but the quality is unparalleled.
Comfortable even for long-distance walking
Longer life than average shoes
Can be worn casually or with an outfit
Fit uniquely to your foot
Complicated sizing structure
Take some time to break in
7. Vans Classic Skate
Available in a variety of color and texture options, this shoe has evolved to have many variations over the years. There is even the option for personal customization to give your shoe a truly unique feel.
High Quality Canvas
Built with high quality canvas, this shoe adapts to the shape of your foot over time while allowing it to breathe.
Cost and Value
A low-cost option, the Vans Skate Shoe is a great value. This shoe is also known to last, so you can be sure that the price you pay will be well worth it.
Wear in to shape of foot
Lace eyelets can tear
8. Nike Air Jordan 1
The solid rubber outsole with deep grooves allows for maximum comfort and grip, whether you are playing ball or just walking around.
Air-Sole in Heel
A built-in air-sole in the heel provides additional comfort and support for athletic movements. This shoe is built to withstand high-level movement while providing great feel.
Cost and Value
When you buy a pair of Jordan’s, you know you are paying for the name. However, between the overall visual attractiveness of the shoe, the comfort and support it provides, and the athletic capabilities, this is a very valuable purchase.
Air-sole in heel
Solid rubber sole with top-level grip
Peeling at bottom of sole
9. Adidas Originals Seeley
The upper portion of the shoe is composed of abrasion resistant material – meaning your shoes will stay looking great even after you’ve broken them in.
Vulcanized Rubber Outsole
The outsole of this shoe offers surprisingly strong grip, making this shoe not only a great looking model, but a stable one as well.
Cost and Value
This shoe is priced among the middle of the pack, making it a great deal for the casual shoe-wearer. You can know that the cost of the purchase is going to a shoe that will last you a long time and maintain its look.
Abrasion resistant material
High grip outsole
Don’t breathe well for long use
Too narrow for wide feet
10. Timberland Icon 3-Eye
Similar in appearance to a boat shoe, this model is heftier and more durable. The high sole ridges allow the wearer to feel confident walking on rougher surfaces.
Leather Lining and Footbed
While other shoes may only use leather for the upper part of the shoe, this Timberland uses leather for the lining and footbed, allowing for maximum comfort and quality.
Cost and Value
This shoe is made of very high-quality materials and the price is reflective of that. The value is high however, as you can expect them to last for years without losing their shape.
Can handle rugged terrain
Casual appearance for everyday wear
Too shallow for some inserts
11. ANNA Dana-20
The Dana-20 boasts stylish elastic cross-straps that offer a secure and comfortable fit while looking cute and trendy. No more worrying about your flats flopping up and down or slipping off while you walk, the Dana-20 has got you covered.
Ballet flats have been a classic go-to style to wear with shorts since the beginning of time. Nothing looks cuter and more laid back than a casual pair of ballet flats matched with shorts.
Cost & Value
The Dana-20 is a budget-friendly pair of shoes that are well-made and won't cause your feet to feel sore and fatigued. Their comfortable low-heel and easy zip-closure make for effortless wearability, while their elastic cross-strap adds an edgy and trend setting vibe.
- Elastic Cross-Strap
- Low Heel
- Man-Made Suede
- Ballet Style
- Low Cost
- Fits Slightly Narrow
12. Keen Bali
The Bali has a slip-on design which makes for super easy on and off wearability and they looks as stylish as they are comfortable making the Bali a perfect pair of shoes to wear with your favorite shorts.
Keen's Hydrophobic lining is a lightweight material that keeps your feet cool and dry by allowing moisture vapor to pass through its open-cell structure and away from your foot.
Cost & Value
The Keen Bali is a mid-priced option and should definitely be a strong consideration when buying shoes to wear with sandals. The Bali's slip-on design and metatomical support system offer unparalleled comfort and support, while the non-marking rubber sole gives excellent traction on both wet and dry surfaces.
- Metatomical Internal Support System
- Non-Marking Rubber Outsole
- EVA Molded Footbed
- Good Traction
- Hydrophobic Mesh Lining
- Narrow At Toe
13. Reebok Royal
Reeboks' Royal Nylon Sneaker is a trendy and stylish shoe that also offers superior comfort and a breathable and airy wear. A suede and nylon upper gives these shoes a high-end vibe and they are sure to match perfectly with any pair of shorts.
The Royals sculpted EVA midsole and padded foam sockliner add an extra level of cushioning comfort so your feet will always feel good. No more tired, achy, and sore feet thanks to the Reebok Royal, a shoe made to keep your feet comfortable.
Cost & Value
The Royal is a reasonably priced sneaker that is guaranteed to look great with any pair of shorts. They offer superior comfort, grippy traction, and a fashionable look, all for a relatively low price.
- Suede Accents
- Nylon Upper
- Sculpted EVA Midsole
- High Abrasion Ruber Outsole
- Padded Foam Sockliner
- Slight Size Variation Between Left & Right Shoes
14. Skechers Flexpadrille
Espadrilles have been a front-running fashion trend for countless seasons and are not slowing down anytime soon. The super-chic and stylish Flexapadrille is an espadrille-inspired shoe that features a jute-wrapped wedge platform and soft woven fabric upper.
The Flexapadrille packs some serious comfort into its 1.5inch platform, complete with memory-foam cushioned inserts and a shock-absorbing insole, these shoes will keep your feet feeling great!
Cost & Value
This BOBS shoe isn't going to cost a fortune to own. The Flexapadrille is a budget-friendly and lower cost option and will definetely look great with any pair of shorts.
- Memory Foam Inserts
- Shock-Absorbing Insole
- Soft, Woven Fabric Upper
- Jute-Wrapped Wedge Platform
- Added Heel Weight
15. Merrell Hollyleaf
Not your regular thong sandal, the Hollyleaf is a uniquely styled toe-ring thong which features a wraparound toe-ring instead of the traditional Y-shaped thong. This style of thong offers a more secure fit and poses less risk of rubbing than the Y-shaped strap between the toes.
These Merrell thongs are all about comfort! They feature supportive cushioning, breathable lining, and a molded sole that conforms to the shape of your foot providing customized comfort for every step. You will never have to worry about tired or achy feet again thanks to the Hollyleafs' incredible wearability.
Cost & Value
The Merrell Hollyleaf is a relatively lower-priced choice so you won't have to spend a fortune to find a pair of shoes that are going to look great with your favorite shorts. Comfort and style all wrapped into one uniquely styled pair of thongs.
- Toe-Ring Thong
- Contoured Microfiber Footbed
- Colored Canvas & Leather Uppers
- Easy On & Off
- Straps Are Not Adjustable
So, hopefully you’re feeling a bit less worried about pairing the perfect pair of shoes with the shorts piled up in your closet. When it comes to pairing shoes with shorts, you really don’t have to break the bank to find something that will shoot your confidence up and your foot pain down. There are a ton of options out there, whether you want to focus on comfort, style, or durability – it is just a matter of finding what works best for you. Don’t be afraid to try something new. Pick out some great shoes, lace them up (or slip them on) and go about your business knowing that you look awesome.
Criteria Used To Evaluate The Best Shoes To Wear With Shorts
Who doesn’t love the summer? The warm sunshiny days, the long strolls along the beach, the cute summertime outfits, including your favorite pairs of shorts… But one sure-fire challenge can be finding a pair of shoes that actually look good with shorts. The wrong shoes can make your feet look too big or just make you look ridiculous, plain and simple.
So what type of shoes can you wear to look stylish all summer long? Firstly you need to know the basics, what the different styles of shoes to wear with shorts are.
- Ballet Flats: The classic that never goes out of style, the ballet flat. Ballet flats are a slipper-like shoe that has the appearance of being without a sole. They are dainty, cute, and look oh-so-great with shorts.
- Sandals: Everyone loves a good pair of sandals! Sandals are an open and airy type of shoe that attaches the shoe sole to the wearer’s foot with either a strap, an open upper, or a mesh-like material. In general, most sandals will look good when paired with shorts, after all, that is what they’re made for.
- Flip-Flops: Flip-flops are an even more relaxed type of sandal where the sole attaches loosely on the foot with a y-shaped strap. Flip-flops are a great choice of shoe to wear with shorts so long as you’re not planning on walking long distances or engaging in sports. Flip-flops offer little in the way of support and offer even less protection for your feet, which is why prolonged walking or playing sports in flip-flops is not advisable.
- Loafers: Loafers are a relaxed shoe for summer that has no laces or fastening system. What could be better than simply slipping on your shoes and heading out the door? Loafers usually have a low-heel, or completely flat heel and can be worn by a man, woman, or child. There are both casual and dressy loafers which makes them a great option for pairing with a more business style short for summer days spent at the office.
- Canvas Sneakers: Canvas sneakers are always stylish and fun for the summer. Not only are canvas shoes super-breathable and airy, but they also look great with a pair of shorts. Wearing a pair of canvas sneakers with your favorite shorts will make for a relaxed and casual, yet stylish and fashionable look. Canvas shoes are quite versatile and can be worn for walking, beaching, or even for business.
- Boat Shoes: With the warmer weather comes the time for boating and nothing will make you look more stylish while you sail than a pair of boat shoes. But they’re not just for boating they look great with shorts no matter where you are.
- Espadrilles: Espadrilles can be a flat, high-heel, or commonly a wedged platform. They are made with a canvas or cotton upper and the sole is made of esparto rope. This type of shoe never goes out of style and always looks great with a pair of shorts. Men, women, and children can all look great while wearing a great pair of espadrilles.
It can be tough to find a shoe that will look good when worn with a pair of shorts that is also going to keep your feet comfortable. Flip-flops, for example, is a popular choice to wear with shorts but can be uncomfortable and offer little-to-no-support.
Luckily, there are tonnes of features available with shoes that can help to keep your feet comfortable even during warmer temperatures. Some of the key comfort features to look for are:
- EVA Cushioned Midsole: EVA is a lightweight man-made material that offers great cushion, flexible comfort, and airy breathability.
- Contoured Footbed: This type of footbed is designed so that it contours to the shape of your foot providing excellent support and a customized wear.
- Padded Arch Support: The arch of the foot can cause all sorts of aches and pains if it is not properly supported which is why a padded footbed can be very important. If you suffer from plantar fasciitis this can be particularly important.
- Rubber Outsole: Rubber is an airy and lightweight material that also offers superior traction so it is grippy even on wet surfaces.
Having a shoe that is breathable and airy is important during warmer weather because just as you wear shorts to stay cool, your feet also need to cool off when it’s hot. There are certain materials that are much more suited for wearing in the summer than others, materials like; canvas, mesh, linen, viscose, and even leather-lined shoes, will all have good airflow and allow your feet to breathe.
Whereas, materials like polyester and acrylic have poor ventilation and will make your feet sweat. Sandals and open-toed shoes are, of course, another airy choice of shoes to wear with shorts and they’re often made of light materials like mesh, or have a leather-lined insole and straps.
Shoes that are worn with shorts are usually more susceptible to odors because the weather tends to be warmer when people opt for wearing a pair of shorts. Warm weather causes our feet to sweat and moist areas are the perfect breeding ground for bacterias and mildew and once bacteria begins to grow odors aren’t far behind!
There are, of course, odor controlling products like powders, sprays, and gels that can be bought separately from the shoe, but why spend extra money on a secondary product when you can have a shoe with built-in odor control?!
There are several different odor controlling technologies that are applied during the manufacturing of a shoe, but three of the best are;
- Cleansport NXT™ – Cleansport™ technologies use probiotics as a natural method of odor control. The process involves the use of beneficial microbes that are bonded to the surface of the shoe’s fabric that end result is natural, non-toxic odor control.
- Microban® – Microban® treated shoes offer the wearer benefits such as, preventing sweat, odor and mildew prevention and eliminating odors. Microban® treatments utilize antimicrobial odor control technologies to capture and prevent bacteria from multiplying and creating smells. These treated materials are subjected to customized experiments to simulate the actual intended use, including; wearability tests, repeated laundering tests, and shower simulators, to ensure totally product efficiency.
- Aegis® – Aegis provides a microbe shield against bacteria, mildew, and odor by enhancing the fabric of the shoe and creating active antibacterial action. Aegis relies on a micro polymer coating, which eliminates bacteria, mold, and fungus on contact, it contains no chemicals and is effective for the entire lifespan of the shoe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I wear socks if I have shorts on?
A: Socks and shorts don’t typically look good together, but there are a few styles of sock that can be fashionably worn with shorts. Invisible socks, for example, are your best option because they’re, well, invisible. Be sure to purchase invisible socks that have rubber on the back to prevent them from sliding down your foot.
Q: What about shoes for longer shorts, like the ones to the knee?
A: The shoes on our list tend to be well-suited for shorts of any length so they will look good with both longer and shorter ones.
Q: How can I find a comfortable pair of shoes to wear with shorts that aren’t going to hurt my feet?
A: The shoes on this list are highly rated for comfort and will keep your feet feeling great all day long. Some key features to look for in a shoe are; a padded and contoured footbed, supportive outsole, and adequate protection. It is also important that a shoe allows proper airflow around the feet and toes to prevent sweating. When your feet sweat, they slide around in your shoes which can cause rubbing and blisters. Without proper support and cushioning your feet can become tired and fatigued at the end of the day.
Q: Are thong sandals really bad for your feet?
A: Yes and no. Most thong or flip-flop sandals are seriously lacking in both support and cushioning which can be detrimental to your feet. There are, however, lots of thongs that are well-made and offer additional support and cushion where it’s needed the most. There are several options on this list that are comfortable and stylish that definitely won’t hurt your feet