Best Slip On Shoes Reviewed & Rated
Have you ever been stuck at the airport security because you were trying to take off your shoes and struggling to get them back on afterward? Or maybe caught between tough choices like picking just an extra pair of shoe to fit into your already bulging travel suitcase for summer? If this sounds like you, then you may need less of an introduction to why you should have a slip-on as an essential part of your shoe colony, and if you are yet to find the perfect pair, it is a good idea to take advantage of the list of the ten best slip-on shoes.
It is a known fact that comfort and style are two major factors that come in to play whenever you discuss slip-on shoes; it is also true that their style is nothing too formal like the Oxford, brogues or derby. Hence, slip-on shoes are typically classified as casual footwear, but when properly styled, they can be worn with numerous outfits ranging from casual to formal. With the introduction of high-end brands creating styles and designs to suit every taste, slip-on’s have now been upgraded from just a regular, lazy-day kind of shoe to a modern, suave and stylish piece of footwear. Their versatility, therefore, makes them the perfect companion for almost any trip.
- TOMS Classic
- Easy Spirit Traveltime Mule
- Grasshopper Windham
- Canvas Uppers
So, why don’t we get into the list of some of the best slip-on shoes you can look out for.
10 Best Slip On Shoes
1. TOMS Classic
The upper cotton material of the Classic makes it a perfect choice for summer, as they do an excellent job of keeping your feet cozy and well ventilated. The canvas uppers make this a washable shoe, so simply toss into the gentle cycle of your washer, or hand wash with soap and water. Ideal for wearing indoor lounging around, or outside
If the only excuse for not wanting to wear a pair of TOMS for so long is its insufficient insole cushion, this pair has got you covered by providing you with the option of being able to replace the insole and fit it with custom made ones. You’ll be able to wear these for an extended timeframe without fear of foot fatigue.
Cost and Value
For a shoe mostly considered as just a simple canvas, several product users agree that the TOMS classic may seem to be an expensive one when compared to similar style and modeled shoes. Regardless, it is still considered as a worthy feet investment for anyone looking to ease her feet from the heels.
- Fabric is easy to clean
- Simple and Lightweight
- 100% Cotton
- Suede footbed
- True to size
- Fabric outsole prone to easy wear out
- Not sweat proof
2. Easy Spirit Traveltime Mule
Soft suede combined with breathable mesh make these no only lightweight, but quite cool for wearing. And with it’s easy slip on design, they can easily come on and off without much notice should you need a little foot rest from wearing. Great for summer or winter time wear, they provide enough warmth without being overly hot.
A thick padded rubber sole helps cushion each step you take in the Traveltime Mule, and allows for great traction, even when it’s wet outside. A soft footbed gives a plush feel, and heel cup helps to support and stabilize your movements when walking. Great for those who may find themselves on their feet all day!
Cost and Value
Average to slightly more expensive, depending on the style you select, the Easy Spirit Traveltime Mule is wonderful for travel vacations, summer wear, or all day wear. With its lightweight mesh uppers, and comfortable construction, you may find you won’t want to take these off!
Sizing Can Vary
3. Merrell Jungle Moc
Whether you spend most of your time on dry, hard, or wet surfaces, the highly slip-resistance rubber outsole of the Merrell Jungle Moc ensures you get an unquestionable level of stability every time you have these shoes on.
The long-lasting M Select Fresh acts as a source of antimicrobial agents to disrupt and inhibit the production of odor causing microbes, while in turn ensuring your shoes are kept dry from sweat and moisture; two agents known to shorten the durability and lifespan of any shoe.
Cost and Value
This pair cost a bit over average compared to others on the list, but is also one of the shoes with tons of positive reviews from product buyers and users. So it should be safe to say that this shoe matches its price tag.
- Rubber anti-slip sole
- Ortholite footbed
- Variety of color shades
- Pig skin lining
- Extra care for suede material
- Size chart may be inaccurate
4. Crocs Santa Cruz
Besides the lovely colors these shoes come in, they also come with an exciting and highly desirable feature; tiny nubs that massage your feet while wearing them, how comforting !
Thanks to its Croslite material, sweat is prevented and consequently foot odor can also be dispelled. Much more is the option of being able to replace the insole with you preferable or custom made ones.
Cost and Value
These shoes are produced in three kinds of categories; Roomy, Relaxed and Standard fit, to suit individual needs. It goes for an average price and offers a great value in relation to its price tag. Lower prices may also be seen on sales option here online.
- Padded heel cups
- Optimum room for feet
- Massage nubs on footbed
- Elastic sides to secure feet firmly
Size charts maybe confusing
5. Skechers Go Walk 2
From having small circular ‘Go impulse sensors’ to provide a more responsive walking experience, to its soft fabric lining and footbed, this shoe delivers complete support to the feet and is a must have slip on shoe.
These shoes are made from synthetic lightweight mesh materials, and despite being furnished with a lightly padded insole, it remains super light weight, flexible and able to stretch.
Cost and Value
The Performance Go Walk 2 is about the cheapest slip-on on this list, which proves that style and comfort does not necessarily amount to breaking the bank. Cheaper price ranges may still be found on sales options.
- Generous room for feet
- Ortholite insoles
- Mesh fabric
- Loop on heel for easy wear
- Not water proof
6. Vans Classic
Vulcanization is the process of strengthening rubber by heating it with sulfur or other curatives. Vulcanized rubber is resilient, water-resistant, and more resistant to tears or abrasions.
Complete with a padded collar, cushioned footbed, and signature waffle outsole, the Vans Classic is as enjoyable as it gets. A breathable and lightweight canvas upper allows for adequate airflow around the foot, while its slip-on style makes for easy on and off wearability.
Cost & Value
These Vans are more than just a pleasurable wear, they're also an affordable bargain. You don't have to spend a fortune to look good while relaxing in a low-effort pair of slip-on shoes, the Classic is a style that never feels outdated and is available at a really reasonable price.
- Padded Collar
- Vulcanized Construction
- Canvas Upper
- Cushioned Footbed
- Reasonable Price
- Narrow Opening
7. Grasshopper Windham
The Grasshopper made this slip-on with an enhanced ortholite insole feature which comes with a dual layer memory foam to help improve the comfort experienced by users. Insoles can also be replaced at will with any other preferable choice.
Shades and Colors
For shoe lovers, there is always that pair we love to have in different colors. This slip-on here is one of those shoes to have in different colors and this has been made available by the shades of colors from the Grasshopper Windham.
Cost and Value
This slip-on has a fair price and is one of the least expensive on the list. It is quite versatile and can be paired with simple casual to more formal outfits. Lower prices can still be found on other select options.
- Rubber outsole great for outdoor surfaces
- Recovery Memory foam insole
- Sizes available for narrow feet
- Removable footbed
- Unavailable size option for wider feet
- Less arch support
8. Sanuk Chiba
The Chiba is constructed from canvas uppers, easily washable, breathable, and cooling on the foot when wearing. With a padded collar, it helps cut down on any rubbing or irritation that can cause blisters, so you’ll be able to walk for quite some time in these. For a bit of laid back styling, Sanuk included a frayed edging on the uppers for kicking back with friends over a beer or two.
As with every pair of Sanuks, the Chiba has the Happy U outsole, allowing for a plush feel to each step, and surrounds the entirety of the shoe. A molded EVA footbed made from foam adds to your comfort, and gives a bit of support. The Chiba combines casual comfort in a laid back design that embodies the surfer and skater mentality from which they were born.
Cost and Value
Similar to those on our list, it’s averagely priced for a solid pair of comfortable slip on shoes. With the Sanuk Happy U outsole keeping your steps springy, and it’s laid back design elements, they may just be your next favorite pair for kicking back with friends.
Happy U Outsole
Laid Back Styling
Require Break In
9. ECCO Helsinki
ECCO made the Helsinki to be supportive, comfortable, and functional, without lacking in its more formal design elements. The ECCO Comfort Fiber System is AGION treated to help prevent bacterial growth, but functions to push air through little holes within the lining, creating a circulation to help feet cool down. ECCO Freedom Fit allows for ample toe splay when walking, helping your feet feel more natural and roomy rather than constricted.
Rich leather uppers help give the Helsinki a rich classic look, great for business or formal wear. Polyurethane soles make it durable, and contribute to shock absorption, and flexibility, so you won’t need to break them in for an extended period of time. TPU shank helps support the foot, and the midsole is designed with an anatomically correct shape, helping to promote natural gait.
Cost and Value
More expensive than other presented her on our list, the ECCO Helsinki is a solid option for a business or formal style shoe, with slip on ease. The price reflects all the great technology ECCO has pumped into the Helsinki, from support, comfort, stability, and durability, so it’s well worth the investment. If you’re in the market for a new pair of formal slip on shoes, look no further!
ECCO Cushion Comfort
Business Style Shoe
10. KEEN Uneek
In typical KEEN fashion, the Uneek is made for outdoor adventures, with its lightweight PU midsole for stability and support, and rubber outsole with siped base. The siped base helps keep traction in slippery conditions. And with its unique upper design, it allows for a flexible range of motion for those who love the feeling of freedom when out on the trail.
Open Air Design
A dual cord system creates the base for either side of the uppers, and is pulled together with a speed pull closure in the center. Need to wear these in the water? No problem! Quick drying and washable, the KEEN Uneek will have you exploring creeks, beaches, or getting caught in the occasional rain storm without fear of damaging your footwear. A microfiber lined heel helps pad against any irritations when walking, and its easy slip in style makes them a breeze to pop on or off.
Cost and Value
Similarly priced to other models of KEEN footwear, the Uneek (think of saying the work unique here) lives up to its name in terms of design, adjustability, comfort and style. With cord uppers that help keep a free feel to the foot, KEEN support and cushion, and its slip on design, they are great for taking outdoors or to the beach. With a multitude of color options and combinations to choose from, they’re a great choice if you’re looking for something a little different!
Cording May Rub
If you would look through your activity itinerary for the year, you would be convinced that there are enough reasons to have at least one of these investment-worthy pairs of shoes. Thanks to the versatile designs from various brands, slip on’s have evolved from how we may have stereotypically seen them, to something that is more attractive and even formal at times. Therefore, they can be worn from morning time to work, through to casual meetings after work, without feeling under or overdressed for both occasions.
Criteria Used To Evaluate The Best Slip On Shoes
As the temperatures begin to rise we suddenly find our feet start to feel sweaty and uncomfortable. That’s when we reach for our trusted slip on shoes to help keep our feet cool and comfortable. But not all slip-on shoes are made equal when it comes to allowing adequate airflow, a key element in staying cool and preventing sweat.
Certain materials are down-right terrible at providing proper airflow and restrict the foot causing heat and odors. Whereas other materials are excellent at letting the cool breeze hit your toes and circulate around your foot, materials like:
- Mesh: Mesh is a lightweight and extremely breathable material often used in the upper construction of footwear. It is composed of a series of wires or thread and allows air to freely flow in and out keeping your feet cool and preventing uncomfortable sweating.
- Canvas: Canvas is another lightweight and breathable material that won’t trap heat inside of the shoe, therefore your feet can feel cool and comfortable no matter how warm the weather is.
- Leather: Leather makes for an excellent footbed or lining materials due to its ability to wick moisture away from the foot, preventing sweat and allowing for ventilation.
- Lace: Like mesh in its open-weave composition, lace is a breathable and airy material that won’t weigh down your feet while also preventing sweat and odors from occurring.
Controlling moisture around your foot is an important aspect to consider in terms of comfort and odor control. Moisture causes the feet to slide around in your shoe which creates friction and rubbing, often leading to painful blisters. Odors occur when a build-up of sweat allows for bacteria to multiply, ultimately creating an unpleasant smell, but luckily there are ways to keep your feet cool and moisture-free. The following features should be considered to keep moisture under control:
- Moisture Wicking: Moisture wicking, also referred to simply as ‘wicking’, is a process in which the lining or footbed of a shoe is made from a material that pulls moisture away from the skin and pushes it towards the outer layer where it can evaporate more easily. Wicking also pulls the salt out of our sweat, thus, removing the abrasive substance leftover when we perspire.
- Odor Control: Controlling odors is an important aspect when it comes to slip-on shoes. It’s easy to find yourself wearing a pair of smelly shoes if you don’t properly care for your favorite slip on’s. Investing in a pair of shoes manufactured with odor-controlling technologies built right into the shoe is something to seriously consider if you would like to keep your feet smelling fresh without having to invest in any secondary products to neutralize odors.
There are different types of built-in odor controlling technologies available, including two of the best;
- Cleansport NXT™ – Cleansport NXT™ is a natural method of odor control that utilizes probiotic technologies. The process involves using beneficial microbes that are bonded to the surface of the shoe fabric that provide the wearer with a natural and non-toxic form of odor control.
- Microban® – Purchasing a pair of shoes treated with Microban technologies offers the wearer many benefits, including; sweat, odor, and mildew prevention, along with keeping your shoes fresh while you wear them and in between washings. Microban effectively prevents odors using antimicrobials that harness odor controlling technology to capture and prevent bacteria from multiplying and creating odors. Materials treated with Microban are subjected to customized experiments to simulate the actual intended use, including; wearability tests, repeated laundering tests, and shower simulators, to ensure totally product efficiency.
The footbed, or insole, is the part of the shoe that your foot rests on and is responsible for keeping your feet cool and dry, while also providing cushion and comfort. There are many variations of insoles available that are designed to bump up the level of enjoyment one gets from wearing a pair of shoes. A few important insole styles and features to contemplate when choosing a pair of slip-on shoes are:
- Ortholite: Ortholite offers a high-performance comfort insole and is trusted by leading manufacturers to better the performance of their footwear, as well as to improve the satisfaction of their customers. Ortholite insoles create a moisture managing procedure that moves moisture away from the foot, providing a cool and dry wear.
- Removable: Removable insoles are desirable because they offer the wearer the chance to use different insoles with one pair of shoes. For example, a person may want a more cushioned insole for a certain activity, but prefer a firmer insole that aids in moisture control for another occasion. Removable insoles allow for versatility and customization of any slip on shoe and are highly recommended for those whose needs vary with the activity they’re engaging in.
- Leather Lined: Leather is ultra smooth and provides a natural feeling when it comes in contact with our skin. It also boasts excellent moisture wicking properties so your feet will feel dry and won’t slip or slide around in your shoe.
The outsole of a shoe is the part which connects with the ground, it is also the barrier between your foot and hazards such as sticks, rocks, and other sharp objects. The outsole is also responsible for preventing slips and keeping you firmly gripped in slippery conditions. This is why it’s so important to choose a shoe with an outsole made from specific materials that will provide protection, comfort, and traction. One of the best materials for any outsole is rubber. Rubber offers unparalleled grip, waterproofing properties, and flexibility, while also being lightweight and breathable.
There are many styles of slip-on shoes available today and while each variant is unique in its own right, they all share one thing in common, the ease of slipping into, or out of. The following are examples of the different styles of slip-on shoes that have dominated the market over the past few years:
- Loafers: Loafers are one of the original styles of slip-on shoe and are made for men, women, and children. Loafers can be worn casually or as business attire and offer the wearer the versatility of transitioning from the office to beach without having to swap footwear.
- Ballet Flat: Ballet Flats are modeled after a soft ballet shoe and consist of an extremely thin sole, often giving the illusion of having no heel whatsoever.
- Moccasins: Moccasin style slip-ons originated among the North American Indians and continue to be a popular style of shoe today. They are a soft leather shoe that does not have a separate heel and the sole turns upwards at all sides where it is sewn to the upper.
Boat Shoe: Boat shoes, sometimes referred to as deck shoes, are a light canvas or leather shoe that has a non-marking rubber sole and is made for use on a boat.
- Athletic: Athletic slip-ons can be found in the catalogs of some of the most well-known brands of athletic wear. They are designed to keep you comfortable while participating in sporting events or other outdoor activities.
- Crocs: Crocs are a type of clog-style slip-on shoe made of a foam material that offers the wearer an added level of comfort and cushion.
- Espadrilles: Espadrilles are a lightweight shoe usually made from canvas and can be either flat or high-heeled and have a sole made from esparto rope.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are slip-on shoes just for women or can men wear them too?
A: Slip-on shoes are certainly not just for women! There are lots of slip-on shoes geared towards men, think boat shoes, loafers, crocs, moccasins, driving shoes, these are all slip-on shoes that men look great in.
Q: Will a pair of slip-ons fall off or flop up and down?
A: Sometimes slipping out of your shoes accidentally is unavoidable, but today’s designers have invented some pretty clever systems to help keep your slip-on shoes in place. Added features like insoles designed to grip your feet or built-in heel pads that adhere to the foot will help prevent your shoes from flopping up and down.
There are also some good old-fashioned tricks that you can do to keep your slip-on’s firmly in place. For example; using double-sided tape at the back of your shoe, or spritzing your feet with hairspray will stop your feet from sliding around. You could also try lightly dusting your shoes with talcum (baby) powder to keep your feet from sweating.
Q: Will I get blisters from wearing a slip-on shoe?
A: Blisters are more likely to happen when your feet slide around in your shoe causing the material to rub against your skin, or if you are wearing a shoe that is too tight and presses on an area of skin eventually causing a blister to form. This can be prevented in one of two ways; stop your feet from getting sweaty, while also making sure that your shoes fit correctly.
If you are prone to sweaty feet try to wear a shoe that has a moisture-wicking footbed and is made of materials that allow for adequate airflow to eliminate the root cause of your problem. You can also purchase deodorizing powders, or simply dust your shoes with a light coating of talcum (baby) powder.
Making sure your shoes fit well might sound like a no-brainer but believe it or not, 80% of people are wearing the wrong size shoe. Slip-ons should fit securely around your foot and should not have a half-inch of room from the skin to the material as with normal shoes. There should also be no pressure anywhere from the shoe resting against your foot and the materials around the ankle cuff should be soft as to prevent rubbing.
Q: Should I wear socks with my slip-ons?
A: This depends on the style of slip-on and is really a personal preference. If you do feel the need to wear socks make sure to opt for a pair with added grip along the bottom, this will stop your shoes from flopping and your feet from sliding. It is also a good idea to consider wearing a pair of invisible socks or if you’re wearing ballet flats, there are special socks designed to mirror the shape of your shoe so they will be basically unnoticeable.
Q: How do I care for my slip-on shoes?
A: This varies from one pair of shoes to another. There are options on the list that are conveniently machine washable, while others can be hand washed with warm water and a mild soap. If you don’t feel comfortable washing your shoes you can simply wipe them down with a soft washcloth and a mild soap periodically to keep your slip-on shoes looking great. It is important to remember that putting your shoes in the dryer is not advisable especially if they have a rubber outsole. Rubber can catch fire if left in the dryer for long and can cause permanent damage to your machine and poses a safety risk to you and your home.
- The 15 Best Slip-Ons For Men, Mar 01, 2018 ,
- 10 Best Slip On Sneakers, Feb 03, 2018 ,
- These Slip-on Sneakers Are the Most Comfortable Travel Shoes, Dec 17, 2017 ,
- 10 Super-comfy Slip-on Sneakers to Wear This Spring, ,
- Top Shoe trends forsummer 2018, ,
- The best spring and summer shoe trends 2018, ,