Best Spring Shoes Reviewed & Rated for Comfort
As the cold days of wearing snow boots, leather boots, furry boots, “anything-to-stay warm” boots comes to an end, you and your feet feel the sheer excitement of spring and the shoe possibilities. Spring is the time of year when everything feels new and awakened after a long hibernation. It is time to get the pedicures scheduled and rethink your spring shoe wardrobe.
Springtime shoes are made for celebration and the prospect of the upcoming warm months that just make our souls and soles happy. You will most definitely see less material, less bulk, and fun prints and patterns adorn spring shoes. Shoes will transition into being lightweight and more breathable. That is a must for warmer weather shoes. After a long season of cabin fever, paired with all of the fun outdoor activities you will be partaking in, be sure to look for shoes that will fit many of the needs you will require. There is nothing that sours a vacation or a fun outing than the wrong shoes. At the end of the day, you don’t want blisters, shooting pains or even feet that got too hot or cold during the day.
- Teva Tirra
- Hook-And-loop Closures
- Traction Outsole
- Birkenstock Mayari
- Cork Sole
- Dual Adjustable Buckles
- Keds Chillax
- Laceless Vamp
- Interior Elastic Panel
It can be somewhat overwhelming with all of the choices available for springtime shoes. We searched through hundreds of shoes in order to find the best ones to fit our criteria. The criteria we used are listed below. However, all of these shoes were reviewed and rated by material, functionality, and affordability among other things. Below are our top picks for the best shoes to wear in for this season.
10 Best Spring Shoes
1. Teva Tirra
This shoe has numerous adjustable straps. That makes it a perfect shoe for a wide variety of feet. It is also helpful on those days when your feet seem to swell you can loosen the sandal. Also, when you need more security in wet conditions, such as rain, you can tighten the sandal to make sure your foot doesn't slip out.
There is no worse feeling than wondering if your shoes are going to keep you upright on a slick surface. No one wants to risk a fall and resulting injury because their shoe did not keep them from slipping. These traction outsoles have water-channeling lugs that help move the water from in under your foot, therefore keeping a stronger grip on the surface.
Cost and value
These Teva sandals are in the middle of our price range when compared at large and to the other shoes in the category. They can easily fit into almost any budget. They are a great value because these sandals could be considered all-terrain with their many safety advances. Also, your feet will breathe very easily in them as they are very open. They dry quickly so they make a great choice to wear even if you are getting wet. Teva sandals are a great all-around choice and are so comfortable they could easily become an everyday shoe.
- Compression-molded midsole
- Traction outsole
- Nylon stability shank
- Shock Pad heel
- Adjustable straps
- Velcro stops working after frequent use
2. Birkenstock Mayari
While it may seem uncomfortable at first, cork is actually one of the best footbeds to use in shoes. Cork is naturally antimicrobial, therefore reducing the spread of fungus. Also, cork is very durable and long-lasting. Finally, cork does not retain odors. Spring or open shoes are a huge turn-off for some people that have smelly feet. Cork helps assuage their fears of going open for warm weather.
Anatomical arch support
The sole of the sandal conforms to your natural foot pattern and shape. This is the highest level of support you can receive from a shoe. It anatomically supports your exact foot shape, therefore making it one of the highest recommended shoes by podiatrists for anyone but especially those that are afflicted with foot pains.
Cost and value
Unfortunately, Birkenstocks generally come with a higher price tag than most other shoes. However, do not let that deter you from purchasing a pair. Even if it means you have to adjust your budget for a short period of time, it will be well worth the cost. Birkenstocks have been known to last for multiple years. Aside from that, Birkenstocks will get to be so comfortable they could become your everyday wearing shoes, weather permitting.
- Tolerable to water
- Footbed customizes to your foot
- Adjustable straps
- Odor resistant
- Good traction sole
- Toe thong rips out easily
- Cork cracks
3. Sperry Billfish 3-Eye
What a perfect pairing of durable leather and mesh inserts. This powerful combination is sure to keep your feet protected from the elements while making airflow and drying as quickly as possible. Leather will last a long time as these shoes are very durable.
While some shoe companies claim to have non-slip soles, Sperry boat shoes are the best in the class. They absolutely will not come out from in under your feet unless they are heavily worn down. The soles on these shoes are squishy for comfort but still very strong to keep you stable.
Cost and value
Sperry shoes are in the upper level of our price range when compared to other shoes in the category. Don't let them fool you by just thinking they are strictly for wearing on a boat. Due to the rise in "casual preppy" weekender style, these shoes will not only keep you safe on so many terrains, but you will be in absolute top style and trends when you wear them. They are also suitable shoes to wear in any weather. If it is cold and you are wearing pants, don't hesitate to wear these shoes with socks. You will get your use from them.
- Padded tongue and collar
- 360-degree lacing system
- Stain and water resistent leather
- Breathable mesh
- Narrow toe box
- Sole separates at stitching
4. Skechers EZ Flex
One of the biggest factors in determining if a shoe is going to move with your foot or hinder your foot is the sole. The rubber sole of this shoe will absolutely bend with every step or squat. The rubber is very lightweight and will not bog you down when walking either. This is partly why Skechers has earned the title as of the best walking shoes.
Soft-woven open fabric
The upper of this shoe is a nice and dainty woven lace pattern. The material is very open which allows for optimal airflow while still keeping the foot covered. The fabric also stretches just enough to accompany your foot should it swell during the day. Actually, the feet can swell up to 5% during each day so this will give just a tad bit more room.
Cost and value
Skechers became famous for not just their cool and comfortable styling. Their shoes are always at an affordable price point. You will find these shoes in the lower end of our price range overall and compared to the other shoes in the category. Not to mention, these shoes could absolutely serve as your everyday shoe. They got with a plethora of outfits for varied occasions. No more wondering what shoes you will have to wear for certain things. Skechers EZ Flex has you covered.
- Slip-resistant sole
- Memory foam footbed
- Reinforced toe box
- Double layered heel area
- Collar agitates skin at heel
- Runs wide
5. Naturalizer Danya
This high heel won't flop around on your foot as some others have the tendency to do. Naturalizer added an adjustable strap to the back heel portion so you can easily loosen or tighten the shoe based on your foot length. That makes this shoe versatile when your foot has the inclination to slip forward.
The heel is a nice 3.25-inches however that is offset with a 1-inch platform under the toe. This will give everyone the opportunity to wear a heel that looks taller than it really is. Giving that illusion of height without the pain and stress that is associated with high heels makes this a shoe for even a novice heel wearer.
Cost and value
Naturalizer strives to bring shoes that are comfortable without the cost. The same is true for these chic high heels. They fall to a price point that is at the lower end of our price range. You won't break the bank when you buy these shoes. Also, they are comfortable enough to be worn for not just a special occasion. They pair nicely with dresses, jeans, and leggings. Therefore, you can most certainly expect to get your usage worth from them.
- Offset heel from platform
- Laser cute straps
- Adjustable back strap
- Slip-resistant rubber sole
- Straps are tight
- Velcro wears out on heel strap
6. Keds Chillax
You might wonder how these shoes stay on without laces or if they will just fly off your feet. Rest assured there is interwoven elastic throughout the shoe that helps the shoes to stay secure and helps you to set trends when wearing these.
The insoles of these shoes provide a very reactive response. Your foot will feel immensely cushioned. Then upon step takeoff, you will notice it does not bog your foot down. Added bonus, the insoles also removable should you want to add your own specialized or orthotic inserts in these shoes.
Cost and value
Keds makes very affordable products so that they can fit into almost any budget. These shoes are also the Best Value on our list; which means you are getting a great shoe at an even greater cost when you buy these. Keds are easy-care shoes that will quickly become one of your favorites. You will have no shortage of outfits to wear these with either. It is easy to see why so many people favor wearing Keds every day.
- Rubber sole
- Breathable canvas upper
- Easy clean
- Slip-on laceless style
- Runs small
- Comes unglued at sole
7. Skechers Lucky Lady
There aren't many things worse than buying a shoe with straps only to wear them and see that the strap cuts into your skin. That won't be the case with these. The straps are a double soft fabric design that feels soft against the skin. It also adds enough height off of the skin to prevent the strap from digging into you.
Jersey mesh lining
Lining this suede and mesh shoe with a soft jersey material will make your foot think it is wrapped in your favorite worn tee shirt instead of stuffy shoes. The lining is ultra-soft against your skin. It is very breathable too, which helps to promote good airflow. The shoes will also dry quickly should they get wet unexpectedly.
Cost and value
As stated above, Skechers set a goal to bring affordable footwear and they have. This particular Skechers Mary Jane is right in the lower end of our price range which makes it a great choice if you are not looking to break the bank. The shoe is highly rated and reviewed; therefore, the quality is ranked high. You can expect this shoe to be worn easily and comfortably for many days. If you are searching for a shoe to be the one you wear on a daily basis, this will make a great choice for that.
- Lightweight mesh upper
- Slip-resistant sole
- Adjustable strap
- Jersey mesh lining
- Short toe box
8. Crocs Santa Cruz
Perhaps the industry leader in many categories, Crocs uses a material that is not only comfortable, it has numerous other benefits. It is comfortable, ground-gripping, and odor-resistant among other things. The material is unmistakable and quite remarkable. They use it in this design nicely even though the shoe has a canvas upper.
Crocs are known for being able to withstand rainstorms and more. This shoe has a closed upper which provides the perfect footwear for spring days and nights. This loafer can handle if you get caught in a rainstorm as the material is ultralight and dries quickly. As well, the rubber footbed and sole will dry within minutes because they won't absorb any water.
Cost and value
Crocs are generally speaking an affordable shoe. This loafer is no exception. It hits right in the lower to mid-portion of our price range. Moreover, Crocs has upped their design game and brings new shoes that are suitable for work situations even because they styling has been revamped. The Santa Cruz makes a perfect all-year shoe (weather permitting) so you will most definitely find the days to wear the shoes. With proper care, Crocs can last a very long time thanks to the durable materials they are made from.
- Canvas upper
- Closed cell resin material
- Dressier styling
- Material rubs ankles/heels
9. Superga 2750 Cotu
Consumers have trusted cotton for a very long time. It is revered for its lighter and breathable characteristics. That is a must on shoes like these. Your foot will rejoice at the good airflow you will find when wearing these shoes. No one likes to have hot feet. Cotton lets the heat escape with ease.
Underfoot on this shoe, you will find superb traction. Gone are the days of having to worry about what terrain you might have to navigate. The tread pattern on this shoe is high-quality and will help your foot grip on slick or wet surfaces with ease.
Cost and value
Now is a great time to try out a shoe from a brand you made not have been accustomed to. The price point for these shoes is right in the lowest in the category and with the shoes overall. You won't have to budget to get these shoes which means you are one step closer to having your perfect spring shoes in hand.
- Lace-up vamp
- Rubber sole
- Good arch support
- Cushioned insole
- Glue separates around sole
- Ankle fabric rubs skin
10. ON Cloud
The footwear provides optimal results by promoting a more forward foot strike. This will help to prevent foot and leg fatigue during workouts or if you are wearing the shoes while out running errands, etc. The spring back reaction also promotes healthy stride and stance. If you have issues with your stance or walking this shoe will be perfect to assist you in fixing those concerns.
The sole is made from zero-gravity foam which combines minimal weight and extreme comfort. 16 cloud pods are attached to the sole as well; these help to promote proper strike as well as providing a cushioned base for your foot to land on with each impact strike.
Cost and value
Consumers should expect that the price of an athletic shoe will generally run higher than most other shoes. However, this shoe is still in our price range. When compared to other shoes in the category is does run a little bit higher than some but the shoe itself is smart, sleek, and stylish. You will love the responsiveness of it even if you are wearing it as an "around town" errand shoe instead of for athletic reasons.
- Reflective properties
- Deep flex grooves
- Flexible heel strap
- Mesh uppers
- Runs narrow
You can see how fun and versatile spring shoes can be. Remember the weather can sometimes be tricky in the spring. We wake up to warm days and chilly nights in some parts of the world. Always make sure to account for your climate when selecting a pair of shoes from this list. Our top 10 included a range of styles so that anyone can find something that suits all or most of their individual needs.
Criteria for Evaluating the Best Spring Shoes
The material of a shoe is going to affect so many aspects of the shoes you are considering. There are dozens of materials and blends that can be used to make one shoe. When choosing what sort of shoe material you need it is important to know the pros and cons of each material. From there, base it off of what you see matching your needs the closest. Here are a few of the most common options that are to be used as materials for springtime shoes.
- Leather- While most people consider leather not a good choice for a warmer weather shoe, there is only a slight truth to that. Oddly enough, leather is very breathable. However, not as much as other materials. For a springtime shoe, you might be perfectly fine wearing a leather-based option as it has not reached its peak temperatures yet. Also, leather is good at wicking moisture away from the skin. Therefore, on warmer days the leather shoe might actually keep your feet more dry than another type of material. Lastly, leather is very easy to clean. It can be scrub with a rag and soapy water and just about comes right back to original condition. On the other hand, unless leather has been properly broken in, it starts out as pretty rigid. It sometimes needs leather conditioners to get it in the prime shape to be thoroughly enjoyed. Cow leather is the most common type to be used. Leather is a popular choice as it is stretchable and durable. Also, it can be dyed to many colors with ease.
- Mesh- Typically, mesh is a go-to material for athletic shoes, water shoes, etc. The lightweight and durable material is easy to care for. Mesh is widely acclaimed for its breathability component. Therefore, when searching for a spring shoe, it is advisable to go with a mesh composition. Mesh is also very comfortable against the skin. Furthermore, if it gets wet in those pesky spring pop-up showers, it will dry relatively fast. That is great because wet shoes set up a breeding ground for bacteria and other fungi. Technology today also allows shoemakers to treat the mesh with antimicrobial properties before they are sold. Lastly, mesh is easy to dye to many colors and compose to many shapes and adornments. The downside of mesh is the structure of it. If you are looking for a more rigid type shoe, you will hardly find one made of mesh. Mesh is made to be bendable and flexible. It is supposed to move with your foot. Another negative factor regarding mesh, especially if a very loosely woven mesh, it has the tendency to pick and fray easier. Think of it like a knitted blanket. The loose rings are easy to catch on things such as branches when walking around.
- Canvas- A very popular material that is widely used is canvas. This type of material is always touted for its lightweight feeling as well as its durability. Canvas shoes are ideal for long distances when walking since they are not heavy. Your feet won’t feel the fatigue from wearing them. Also, canvas results in shoes being very flexible. If you need your springtime shoe to bend and move with you on the go, canvas shoes make a great option that really feels like an extension fo your body instead of a separate thing. Conversely, canvas even though lightweight, could take more time to dry than some other types of shoes in the category. Depending on the thickness and weave of your canvas, you might be walking around in soggy shoes longer than you care to.
- Foam- Generally speaking the foam is used in the soles of the shoe most often. However, there are still two types of foam that can comprise a shoe. There is closed cell foam and open cell foam. Open cell foam is available in different weights, thicknesses, and colors. You will typically see open cell foams used in the collars and tongues of shoes. Interestingly, thin sheets of Polyurethane, or PU, are used to make the backs of fabrics is a lot of styles of shoes. This helps the stitches to “stick” in a shoe and prevents wrinkling and creases. In opposition, there is closed cell foam. It is very dense. Most recognizably known will be EVA foam, usually used in the soles of shoes. The thickness of the EVA also has to do with whether most shoes are waterproof. Using 2mm of foam sheets will waterproof the fabric. Latex and neoprene are the next runners-up in closed cell foams. A trick to remembering this is “closed cell” means closed off. “Open cell” has more room in between the fibers of the material.
- Others- As stated before, there are other options that can be used for shoes. We only highlighted the most commonly used, as well as the most frequently seen in our personal top 10 list.
Now, this is where it gets really fun to look for spring shoes! There really are so many choices of styles to wear. The major factor to determine what you need is to decide what the shoes will be worn for. Is it a one-time event or are you looking for something to carry you on through the entire summer? From there, are you looking for a fancy shoe or one that is more casual and laid-back? Another important tip to remember, no matter the style and reason for the shoe you have to select a shoe that is comfortable. Otherwise, what’s the point when it could just be packed away and never worn because it hurts your feet?
If you are not needing your shoes for anything specific and are searching for a more all-around wear frequently type of shoe, then how do you narrow down what style you want. It is a good idea to research what is trendy and fashionable. No one wants to be out of the loop in the fashion world. Also, seek the opinions of those you trust the most. They will not lead you astray if you are showing them shoes that will top any Worst Dressed List.
Finally, the myriad of styles can be overwhelming. Spring shoes can be any style. This season will still have cold nights most of the time so you can absolutely purchase another pair of boots if your heart desires it. There are loafers and mules which are a nice choice. They can be worn with many outfits. This type also serves to keep your feet somewhat unexposed. In some instances, you can put fabulous socks with this type of shoe to make a bold fashion statement and to keep your feet warm if needed. Another popular spring style is dress shoes. Most people have one spring event they will be invited to whether it is a wedding or graduation, and you will want to look your best. Picking high heels or dress loafers to compliment the theme or style of the event and your outfit will be much fun! Then, we have athletic shoes or sneakers. It can be our secret that during winter hibernation you packed on a few pounds or you are simply resuming your fitness regime in the lovely warm season, you can pick bright and lightweight sneakers to help you achieve your fitness goals.
One often overlooked but a highly important thing to consider when searching for any new shoe is the arch support that it offers. Most people don’t know the number of things in or with the body the arch of the foot can affect if not properly taken care of. Did you know that with every mile walked, our arches endure 200,000 to 300,000 pounds of stress? It is no wonder with all of that blunt force our arches sometimes hurt us more than they should. For example, two common major complaints are plantar fasciitis and metatarsalgia. Big words. However, they can cause major issues for people and they solely revolve around the arch. One of the ways to help prevent these conditions from occurring or to help symptoms if you already have them is picking shoes that properly support the arch. Some symptoms of improper arch support are pains in the arches, tingling, pain in other areas of the foot that radiate from the arches, among other signs. It is also very important to know the type of arch you have so that you can properly support your individual arch. There are many ways to determine your arch shape, most of which involve at-home, simple tests that don’t cost a thing. You simply use household items you already have on hand.
Once your arch type is determined it will be easier to get a shoe that you need for correct care. There are three types of arches.
- Average arch- This is what the American Podiatric Medical Association deems as a typical arch. You will see a nice curvature from the ball of the foot to the back of the foot. When examining it from the side it does not seem overly high at the arch.
- Low arch- Sometimes this is also more commonly known as “flatfooted“. If you stand in front of a mirror and look at your feet, you will have trouble seeing any space from the floor to the top of your arch. Also, you can wet your feet and stand on a paper bag or similar. If there is a wide and solid print as opposed to a cut in at the arch, you can assume you are on the flatfoot side. Furthermore, people with low arches tend to overpronate. This means that the foot rotates too far inwards with each step.
- High arch- People that have higher arches tend to have a foot that rolls outwards; known as underpronation. This can cause issues with your stance and stride. The side of your foot is taking the impact as opposed to the entire foot. A higher arch will also need insoles that can reach the arch. Higher arches have a more likely chance of collapsing if not supported properly.
If you feel that your typical arch supports and insoles that come with the shoes you are buying do not support your foot in the way you need personally, you can see a specialist and have inserts made specifically for your foot. This is the best remedy to help get rid of pains you have. They will not fit into all shoes, however. Make sure the shoe you are buying can accept an arch support without being seen and without causing your foot to improperly fit into the shoe once the insert is in.
Affordability and Durability
Really these two criteria go hand in hand. You don’t want to get an affordable shoe and have to sacrifice the durability of the shoe. Conversely, you don’t want to sacrifice the durability just to get something affordable. It pays to plan in advance sometimes. If you need to, make a budget and set aside money for weeks or months in order to purchase the shoes you need without having to worry about the cost. However, if that is not an option as you need the shoes right now, you can rest assured the shoes on our list are highly rated for durability across the board. You will have to determine what is an appropriate amount for your budget personally. We do take into high accord the price range of shoes when making our list. We strive to bring shoes that can easily fit into almost any budget.
The second piece of this is the durability. No one likes to spend their hard-earned money on a new pair of shoes only to have them tear up or fall apart after just a few uses. The shoes we picked are highly reviewed for durability. We also stress that you take care of your shoes per the manufacturer’s instructions. A few general care tips are to never wash shoes in the washing machine as it lessens their lifespan, pretreat with stain repellents when safe on the fabric and appropriate, and finally, use a waterproof spray if and when appropriate. This will help your feet as well as the shoes!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are spring shoes?
A: Spring shoes are shoes that are designed to transition your feet from winter to summer. You will shoes that are made of lighter materials, are not as bulky, and generally speaking, show more skin. Sandals and flip-flops are typical warm weather styles. However, designers are hoping to garner more traction with consumers by making fun canvas and loafer styles. Those make a great choice if you tend to have swings in the weather on a day-to-day basis in your climate.
Q: When do spring shoes come out?
A: There are always going to be spring shoes floating around for sale. Some areas do not have very cold temperatures; therefore, there is no need for cold-weather shoes. Other areas that do experience 3-4 seasons of weather will typically find the newest shoe styles drop out in late January for the northern sphere of the world. Our friends down south will usually see new trends come out in late July/August. However, if you are looking to score a preview of the new trends well before they hit the market, designers typically do their runway shows and release previews a full season in advance. That can sometimes be 6-7 months earlier!
Q: How can I tell what is in style for spring shoes?
A: The best place to check for what is in style at the current moment is with celebrities. They seem to gain early access to trends. Or maybe they are the ones starting the trends? Either way, check out whatever biggest named celebrity is wearing and you are sure to see what is the most popular trend item. As well, a quick internet search can always show you what the biggest trends in spring shoes are.
Q: What are the trends in spring shoes right now?
A: Tends in spring shoes can change weekly to some extent. However, a few characteristics will always remain a true fashion statement. Trends that will forever stay popular in spring shoes are more skin being seen, lighter materials, and bright or fun designs.
Q: Can I wear spring shoes only in the springtime?
A: Absolutely not. However, this comes down to a personal preference more than anything. Also, the weather is an important factor. You would not want to wear spring wedding shoes in the middle of the snow. For the most part, you can expect to be able to wear your springtime shoes well into the summer and fall.
Q: What if my shoes do not offer arch support like I need?
A: It is best to always purchase a shoe that does have arch support. However, sometimes, that cannot be avoided. One example, high heels. They are made to be pretty and usually do not have any arch support. With shoes such as these, it is not advisable to wear them more than a rare occasion. Damage to your arches comes from repeated abuse and long-term lack of support. So if you must wear shoes that do not have proper arch support just don’t do it long-term or on a daily basis.
- How to Select Footwear Materials, May 08, 2018 ,
- Advantages of Canvas Made Shoes, Jul 24, 2017 ,
- The Importance of Arch Support, Aug 14, 2017 ,
- Your Aching Arches: Why Your Arches Hurt and What You Can Do About It, Mar 08, 2017 ,